Tuesday, January 6, 2009

So. Let's Get Busy.

I've got an album in the can, it's been in the can since Dec of '07. I've decided to get off my ass and do something about it. There's no point in being this awesome if I can't prove it to every person out there.

I spent the last year (08) noodling around, retiring, whining, planning offshoot projects that never happened, and here we are, a year later, but I'm back in the saddle, playing at least 3 times a month, everything's coming up roses. So what the hell, let's make a little noise and finish this stupid record.

When I last checked, there was 10 songs - 3 of which were covers. I think I'm going to go ahead and add "bonus tracks!" to the record to flush out all the other great stuff I've done over the past year. I mean seriously, how expensive COULD it be to make an album that's 50% covers? Especially if those covers are going to garner more attention and more sales - thereby paying for themselves, right? Sure sure. That's what I'll tell myself.

The ORIGINAL TAL3NT! track list:
As Good
Behind Bars
Does That Make You Feel Good
Fools Gold
Hotel Chelsea (cover)
I Don't Want These Memories
I Would Die 4 U (cover)
Make Me Laugh
My Dingaling (cover)
Nevergonnaletyoumakemehatemyself Again
Run Your Hands
Star 69 (which is now looking extremely dated no matter how you splain it)

And then the covers I've done because I kill me with my humor:
Don't Worry Be Happy
I'm A Lover Not A Fighter
You Shook Me All Night Long
Drive
I Just Can't Wait To Be King
Sympathy For the Devil
Hey You/Hey Ya
Daughters

So what are we up to - 3 hours of music? Maybe I oughtta be a little more picky? Pshaw. Maybe two albums at the same time? A Use Your Illusion - but call it Use Your Confusion ho ho ho. I gotta wake up.

But seriously - looking at my last year's output - I've done more re-covers than originals. I wouldn't call it a slump. I'd call it having fun messing stuff up. Is that so bad? Should I begin marketing myself as a fantastic re-arranger for people who want to re-interpret covers? Sure I could. For those four people in the world who'd have no ability to do a cover.

Sigh.

No comments: